I’m a big proponent of “having your cake and eating it too” – eating dessert and keeping health in mind. Here are two ways to do just that!
FIRST, healthifying dessert – or making small but significant ingredient swaps – can help you eat cleaner and feel better about your food choices. In these recipes, I’ve swapped out three common Mug Cake ingredients – heavy cream, butter, and sugar – for 1 (just one!) Siggi’s chocolate Skyr.
What is Skyr? Excellent question! Skyr is a strained yogurt made from cow’s milk that has been astaple in the Icelandic diet for more than 1,000 years. Like milk, regular yogurt is mostly water – but with skyr, that water is strained away, creating a thick and creamy consistency. Siggi’s www.siggis.com skyr varieties are pretty awesome – they have a lower sugar content, higher protein content, and simpler ingredients compared to other yogurts. Today I’m using Siggi’s Chocolate Triple Cream (YUM!) skyr, which has 9gm of protein and just 8gm of sugar per container. Talk about filling, wholesome deliciousness.
Now back to Chocolate Cake…
SECOND, making sure your dessert is tasty and truly delicious is super (!) important so that you are satisfied. However, eating these delicious foods in a proper portion is important to sticking with our health goals. You guys know it’s important to me to make healthy eating as EASY as possible for you- it is my #1 priority.
SO I’m sharing with you today three single-serving chocolate Mug Cake recipes that are healthy, decadent, and inherently portion controlled. Here they go!
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 cup skim milk
- 1 4-oz Siggi’s Chocolate Triple Cream skyr
- Optional (but recommended): dash of salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Note: If you can’t find almond flour, use regular white baking flour instead
3 Chocolate Varieties:
- Chocolate: no additional ingredients
- Banana Chocolate Chip: add in ¼ diced banana
- Chocolate Nut: add 1 Tablespoon of chopped pecans or pecan halves
- Mix ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl; use only 2 of the 3 Tablespoons of chocolate chips
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes, take out for ~30 seconds to allow cake to cool briefly. Microwave for another minute. Top with last Tablespoon of chocolate chips.